MEET: Day 2 of Washington & Lee University Carnival
LOCATION: Lexington, Va. (Wilson Field Track)
WOMEN'S FINISH: Not team scored
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College senior Aishat Sadiq won the 200m and finished second in the 100m, while teammate Leilah Hicks finished among the top six in both events, highlighting the Quakers' day on the track in Saturday's second day at the Washington & Lee University Carnival.
ON THE TRACK
- Sadiq won the 200m with a time of 25.76 seconds – barely ahead of Hicks in second place with a time of 26.22 seconds. In the 100m dash, Sadiq crossed the line second with a mark of 12.50 seconds, while Hicks was sixth in 13.15 seconds. Sadiq's times in the 100m and 200m were better than the winning times at last season's HCAC Outdoor Track Championships.
- Jasmine Lorenzana (1:05.17) and Hailey Beel (1:06.03) finished eighth and ninth respectively in the 400m.
- Remy Haggerty was Earlham's top finisher in the 800m with a time of 2:35.96.
- Ellie Haland, who finished second in Friday's 1500m run, won Saturday's 3000m steeplechase with a time of 11:45.55.
- In the 4 x 100m relay, the Earlham quartet of Beel, Sadiq, Sarah Dickman, and Jennifer Douyere placed second overall with a time of 50.49 seconds. That time is .03 seconds off the winning time at last season's HCAC outdoor meet.
Earlham women's track and field will be idle from competition next weekend, but will return to the track at a pair of meets the following weekend. The distance runners will travel to St. Louis, Mo., for the Washington University Distance Carnival on Friday, March 29, and the rest of the team will travel to Westerville, Ohio, to compete in the Otterbein April Fools Invitational on Saturday, March 30.