FINAL SCORE: Trine 16, Earlham 12
LOCATION: Angola, Ind. (Zollner Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 2-1, Trine 1-1
THE SHORT STORY: First year midfielder Claudette Roskamp scored eight goals to help Earlham College women's lacrosse keep things close, but the Quakers dropped a 16-12 decision to Trine University on Saturday at Zollner Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Trine scored twice to open the game, Earlham responded with goals by Claudette Roskamp and Alexis Warren sandwiched around the Thunder's third strike of the contest, leaving Trine with a 3-2 lead at the 20:35 mark of the opening half.
- Trine rattled off five straight goals, three of those by Kristin John, to extend its lead to 8-2 with 11:46 to play. Roskamp broke the Thunder scoring streak with her unassisted goal with 10:50 to play in the half.
- The Thunder added two more goals over the remainder of the frame, and held a 10-3 advantage at the intermission.
- Trine netted two more goals to open the second half. Earlham's Emma Lady notched her first score of the game with 22:31 remaining, cutting the margin to 12-4.
- With the score 14-5, Earlham notched four straight goals to cut the margin to 14-9. Roskamp scored three goals during the Quaker surge, with Krista Kirk adding the final score with 11:37 left in the game.
- After the teams traded goals back-and-forth twice to advance the score to 16-11 in Trine's favor, Roskamp scored on a free-position attempt with 2:34 remaining to cap the day's scoring.
- Two of Claudette Roskamp's goals came off free-position attempts, and Earlham was 3-of-7 on the 8-meter arc. Trine was 7-of-12 on its free-position attempts.
- Earlham goalies Becca Belcher and Meg Murphy combined to make nine saves on the day, while Trine goalie Emily Morthorst had 11 saves.
- The Thunder outshot the Quakers, 37-26, and Earlham had a commanding 23 to 7 advantage in draw controls.
Earlham women's lacrosse will host DePauw University on Thursday, March 7, at 7:00 p.m. at Darrell Beane Stadium.