FINAL SCORE: Piedmont 20, Earlham 3
LOCATION: Demorest, Ga. (Walker Athletic Complex)
RECORDS: Earlham 1-1, Wilmington (Ohio) 1-2
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College men's lacrosse got on the scoreboard first, but Piedmont College came back to score 11 times over the first two quarters to hand a 20-3 loss to the Quakers, on Monday afternoon in Demorest, Ga.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anthony Boutwell scored his first goal of the season at the 12:24 mark of the opening quarter, giving Earlham a 1-0 lead.
- Piedmont responded four times in the first quarter and then added six unanswered goals in the second quarter, taking a 10-1 lead into the halftime break.
- The Quakers' Cole Burrell notched his third goal of the season early in the third quarter, but six goals from the Lions gave Piedmont a 16-2 lead through 45 minutes of play.
- Piedmont added four goals in the final stanza, while Blake Francis charted his sixth goal of the season with 10:59 remaining in the game.
- Quaker goalie Josh Perkins charted 29 saves, setting a new Earlham single-game record.
- Earlham was outshot 74-12 in the contest, and the Lions picked up 55 groundballs to the Quakers' 20.
Earlham men's lacrosse wraps up its stretch of three road games on Sunday, March 17, when the Quakers travel to Hanover College for a Heartland Collegiate Lacrosse Conference matchup. Game time is 3:00 p.m.