SCORE: Wittenberg 10, Earlham 4
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Sadler Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 0-2, Wittenberg 2-0
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College pitchers issued 11 walks and yielded 10 runs on eight hits as Wittenberg rallied from an early 4-2 deficit to overtake the Quakers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wittenberg posted a pair of runs in the first on Jack Siefert's RBI single, and a fly ball to right that allowed a second run to score.
- The Quakers rallied with a four-run first inning, keyed by Sam Sprockett's two-out, two-run single that plated Andrew McFadden and Isaiah Shake. Earlier in the frame, Earlham drove in two runs on Austin Hatfield's RBI double and a bases loaded walk drawn by Easton Embry.
- The Tigers knotted the game with a pair of runs in the top of the third on Mason Davis' two-out grounder to second, which was mishandled allowing Hayden Knox and Patrick Kenny to score.
- Wittenberg took the lead with a single run in the fourth, thanks to Kenny's bases loaded, one-out grounder to short that plated Bryce Kilfoyle.
- The Tigers plated single runs in the fifth, sixth, and eighth innings, and tacked on two insurance runs in the ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Wittenberg held Earlham to three-up, three down in the second, fourth, seventh, and eighth innings, and allowed just two Quaker base runners to advance past first base after the first inning.
- Earlham scored its four runs in the first inning on two hits, two Witt errors, and two walks. After the first inning, the Quakers managed just two hits the rest of the way.
- The Quakers stranded five runners on base, while the Tigers left 11 runners aboard.
Earlham will host Wilmington College (Ohio) for the first game of a three-game series on Friday, March 1, at 4:00 p.m. at Sadler Stadium. The series will conclude with a doubleheader between the Indiana Quakers and the Ohio Quakers on Saturday, March 2, at 1:00 p.m.