SCORE: G1- Anderson 3, Earlham 2 / G2- Anderson 8, Earlham 1
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Sadler Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 15-20, 7-9 HCAC / Anderson 19-11, 9-5 HCAC
THE SHORT STORY: Earlham College dropped both ends of a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference baseball doubleheader on Sunday, falling to Anderson University, 3-2 and 8-1, in the Quakers' final home appearance of the 2019 season.
GAME 1 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After Anderson posted single runs in the second and sixth innings, Earlham rallied to tie the game with two runs in the bottom of the sixth. Zach Swearingen reached on a single to leadoff the sixth, and later scored on a fielder's choice grounder to short. Pinch hitter Danny Dopp singled home Isaiah Shake later in the frame for the Quakers' second run.
- The Ravens' Austin Cain doubled home the go-ahead run in the top of the seventh, giving Anderson a 3-2 lead.
- Earlham put multiple runners in scoring position in the eighth, but were unable to get a game-tying run across home plate. A fielder's choice grounder to short and a fly ball to center field got Anderson out of danger in the eighth, and the Quakers were unable to get a runner past second base in the ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Starter Walter Talcott charted eight strikeouts over 8.0 innings while allowing just two earned runs on six hits in the loss, falling to 4-5 on the season.
- Earlham finished with six hits and nine runners left on base.
- Anderson tallied seven hits including two doubles, with Joe Moran going 2-for-4 at the plate.
GAME 2 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Anderson grabbed a 2-0 lead in the top of the third inning and extended that to 3-0 with a single run in the top of the sixth.
- Earlham plated a single run in the bottom half of the sixth on Austin Hatfield's RBI single to right field, scoring Devin Basley to cut the margin to 3-1.
- The Ravens tacked on a single run in the seventh before driving in four runs in the ninth, including a two-run single off the bat of Nick Jones.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Joey Gerbus got the start on the mound for Earlham and he held Anderson to two earned runs on seven hits over 5.2 innings of work, while fanning five Raven batters. Colin Greve finished out the game and charted three strikeouts, and allowed five runs, one earned, on six hits.
- Anderson's Clayton White pitched the complete game victory for the Ravens, holding the Quakers to four hits with six strikeouts.
- Tyler Burton led the Ravens with four hits with a double and one RBI.
Earlham baseball closes out the 2019 regular season on Friday, May 3, when it heads to North Manchester, Ind., to face Manchester University. Game one of the twinbill starts at 1:00 p.m.