SCORE: G1- Franklin 14, Earlham 2 / G2- Franklin 9, Earlham 1
LOCATION: Richmond, Ind. (Sadler Stadium)
RECORDS: Earlham 15-16, 7-7 HCAC / Franklin 19-11, 8-4 HCAC
THE SHORT STORY: Franklin College amassed 30 hits over both ends of a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference doubleheader while the Earlham College baseball team was held to just nine hits, as the Quakers fell to the visiting Grizzlies, 14-2 and 9-1, on Monday evening at Sadler Stadium.
GAME 1 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After allowing Franklin to plate single runs in the first and second innings, the Grizzlies plated six runs in the top of the third on six hits and one error. Ryan Bixler stroked a two-run double into left-center, and Jarrod Smith belted a home run over the "maroon monster" in left field with two runners aboard.
- Danny Dopp singled home Zach Swearingen in the bottom of the fifth, cutting the Franklin lead to 8-1.
- Franklin tacked on a single run in the sixth and two more in the eighth. The Grizzlies capped their scoring with a three-run ninth inning, including a two-run home run by Logan Demkovich.
- Earlham added an insurance run in the bottom of the ninth. Devin Basley got aboard with a hit-by-pitch, and scored on pinch hitter Addison Robertson's triple to right-center.
- The Grizzlies struck again in the sixth inning to advance their lead to 7-1. Claycamp reached on a two-out single, and scored on Nick Wright's triple.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Starter Walter Talcott took the loss after allowing eight runs, six earned, on seven hits over 2.0 innings. Relievers Jordan Christian and Nate Hemmerich finished out the game for the Quakers.
- Earlham had five hits, with Robertson's triple going as the Quakers' only extra-base hit.
- Demkovich went 3-for-5 at the plate to lead Franklin, with three runs batted in and one run scored.
GAME 2 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Franklin jumped out to an early lead with a five-run first inning. Drew Naumovich plated one run with an RBI double to right field, and later scored on Sam Claycamp's single up the middle. Jarrod Smith and Logan Demkovich each had RBI singles later in the frame.
- The Grizzlies put a single run up on the scoreboard in the top of the third, but Earlham answered in the bottom of the frame when Isaiah Shake drew a bases loaded walk to plate James Grace and cut the Franklin lead to 6-1.
- Franklin rounded out its scoring with a single run in the sixth, and two more in the top of the ninth on RBI singles from Smith and Demkovich.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Starter Spencer Owen was lifted in the second inning in favor of Colin Greve, who lasted five innings on the mound. Domanick Michael entered in the seventh inning to finish things out.
- Earlham was held to four hits in game two and stranded nine base runners.
- Franklin finished with 15 hits, led by Smith and Claycamp with three apiece.
Earlham baseball has a quick turnaround before returning to action on Tuesday, April 23, at DePauw University for a single nine-inning game. Game time in Greencastle, Ind., is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.