SCORE: G1- Transylvania 4, Earlham 1 / G2- Transylvania 17, Earlham 6
LOCATION: Lexington, Ky. (Marquard Field)
RECORDS: Earlham 8-11, 0-2 HCAC / Transylvania 9-11, 2-0 HCAC
THE SHORT STORY: The Earlham College baseball team was unable to find its stride at the plate and was held to 13 hits over both ends of a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference doubleheader at Transylvania University. The Quakers fell to the Pioneers, 4-1, in game one, and lost by a 17-6 score in game two.
GAME 1 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After Transy took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning, Earlham tied things up at 1-1 in the top of the fourth. Brian Pincura reached on a two-out walk, and scored on Cameron McCabe's double down the right field line.
- The Pioneers retook the lead with two runs in the seventh on a Hudson Chastain base hit to left-center that plated Riley Willbur, while Chastain crossed on a wild pitch later in the frame.
- Transylvania tacked on an insurance run in the eighth, and retired Earlham in order in the ninth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Earlham did not get a baserunner past first after the fourth inning, and were held to three-up, three-down in the seventh and ninth innings. The Quakers finished with seven hits and stranded five runners on base. Transy finished the game with 10 hits and nine runners stranded.
- Marc Gendreau and Cameron McCabe each finished with two hits, with McCabe also picking up a run batted in.
- Joey Gerbus got the start and lasted six complete, scattering six hits and allowing three walks and one earned run to go with three strikeouts. Jordan Christian came on in the seventh and took the loss after allowing three runs, two of which were earned, on four hits.
GAME 2 - HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Transylvania struck hard at Earlham right out of the gate, with five runs on five hits and one Quaker error in the first inning. Trey Medford's two-out single through the right side drove in a pair of unearned runs for the Pioneers, after three singles and a Hudson Chastain double earlier in the inning.
- The Pioneers added two runs in the second and two more in the fourth to extend their lead to 9-0, before Earlham manufactured a pair of runs in the top of the fifth. Addison Robertson drew a leadoff walk and stole second and third, but was put out at home on Alec Bryan's fielder's choice grounder to third. Bryan scored later in the inning on Isaiah Shake's single into center field, and Zach Swearingen, who got aboard with a walk, eventually crossed on a wild pitch.
- Transy put up another five-spot in the bottom of the fifth on four hits and an Earlham error, with Willbur and Chastain each stroking RBI doubles for the Pioneers. Transylvania tacked on another run in the sixth, giving the Pioneers a 15-2 lead.
- Earlham put up a single run in the eighth, and posted three more in the ninth on a two-out throwing error by the Transy third baseman that allowed batter Devin Basley and base runners Easton Embry and Corey Peters to come around and score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Earlham finished game two with six hits, led by Danny Dopp's 2-for-2 effort at the plate.
- The Quakers charted seven stolen bases in game two, including three by Addison Robertson.
- Starter Colin Greve lasted one-and-a-third innings, allowing seven runs, three earned, on seven hits. A total of six Earlham relievers finished out the game for the Quakers.
Earlham continues its HCAC schedule on Saturday, March 30, when it faces Bluffton University in a conference doubleheader. Game one of the twinbill will begin at 12:00 p.m.